A SHORT HISTORY OF
BROADVIEW HEIGHTS BAPTIST CHURCH
The history of Broadview is a testimony to the Grace of God. It may best be summarized by Ps 118:23,
“This is the LORD’S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.”
The faithfulness of the Lord has been the theme of our history.
As we look forward to celebrating sixty years of our existence as a church, following is a timeline of events and changes that have taken place over the years.
1954: The church began as a Sunday School, meeting under the auspices of the Union Gospel Press on Brookpark Rd. in Cleveland.
Two years later, property was acquired at 1616 Brookpark Rd and a church, then known as Faith Memorial Church, was built on that property. The church met in that building for 38 years (1956-1994). During those years the church had six different pastors:
1954-1959 Pastor Charles Miller
1959-1965 Pastor Charles Sine
1965-1975 Pastor Lanny Akers
1977 Pastor David Clark
1978-1980 Pastor Daniel Douglas
1980-1995 Pastor Tony Raffa
During Pastor Raffa’s tenure, the church changed names to Southwest Bible Church in 1984, and again to Broadview Heights Baptist Church in 1994, when we moved to this location.
Due to the acquisition of the Brookpark Rd. property by the Ohio Department of Transportation, the church purchased ten acres of property on Broadview Rd. in Broadview Heights. For two years the church met in the Friends Church on Avery Road while our current building was being constructed. During that time period, Pastor Don Barth, Jr. was the pastor (Nov. 1995-Mar. 2012). The first Sunday in this building was November 9, 1996.
Pastor Royalty and family came in April, 2012 and have been serving since.
The future of God’s work here in Broadview Heights is as bright as the promises of God. Each week, lives are being helped through the eternal truths of God’s Word, the Bible.
Though we have changed names and locations through the years, we have never wavered in our purpose to love people and to serve the Lord.